NATO says ready to defend allies amid report of possible Iranian threats to US bases in Europe

NATO has said it is prepared to defend all its members amid a report that Iran considered targeting US military sites in Europe if Washington further escalated its military campaign against Tehran.

A NATO official told Arab News on Wednesday that the alliance’s air defenses had demonstrated their effectiveness earlier this year when they intercepted Iranian ballistic missiles heading toward Turkiye on four separate occasions.

“As demonstrated earlier this year when NATO air defences successfully intercepted ballistic missiles heading to Turkiye from Iran on four separate occasions, our deterrence and defence posture is strong and effective,” the official said.

“NATO is prepared to address any threat and will always do what is necessary to defend all Allies,” the official added.

The comments followed a Financial Times report examining possible Iranian responses to further US military escalation, including potential attacks on American military sites in Europe.

The US maintains military bases and forces across Europe, including in several NATO member states.

NATO has declared its readiness to counter any threat following reports that Iran may strike US military assets in Europe if the conflict with Washington escalates. The alliance highlighted its recent interception of Iranian ballistic missiles targeting Türkiye, underscoring its strong and effective deterrence posture.

The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) has affirmed its preparedness to confront any potential threat, responding to media reports suggesting that Iran has considered striking US military installations in Europe should US President Donald Trump intensify the ongoing war. A NATO official, speaking to Anadolu in a written statement, emphasized that the alliance remains fully equipped to defend all member states against any form of aggression. The official also pointed to NATO's successful interception of ballistic missiles launched from Iran toward Türkiye on four separate occasions earlier this year, demonstrating the alliance's robust defensive capabilities.

" As demonstrated earlier this year when NATO air defences successfully intercepted ballistic missiles heading to Türkiye from Iran on four separate occasions, our deterrence and defence posture is strong and effective," the statement noted. The remarks come amid reports that Iranian forces have assessed potential strikes on US assets in southeastern European countries, including Bulgaria—which recently approved the use of its Bezmer air base by US refueling aircraft. Cyprus, where a British base was hit by a drone in March, has also been mentioned as a possible target in the event of a renewed US offensive.

The heightened alert follows the collapse of a June memorandum of understanding between Iran and the US, which had been intended to end hostilities and pave the way for broader negotiations. Diplomatic efforts to reopen the Strait of Hormuz—a critical chokepoint for global energy shipments—have since failed, and prospects for renewed talks have dimmed. US President Donald Trump stated on Tuesday that there are "no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled" with Tehran. Iranian military officials have previously cautioned that any base used to launch attacks against Iranian territory could be considered a legitimate target.

إرسال تعليق

أحدث أقدم