Former Prince Andrew released as investigations continue

After a day of questioning by police on suspicion of misconduct in public office over his role as a UK trade envoy, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been released. He hasn't responded to the BBC’s requests for comment on any of the specific allegations prompted by the release of the Epstein files last month. 

In the United States, members of Congress have urged the US government to take action against associates of the convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, following the former Prince's arrest. Also: In Venezuela hundreds of political prisoners could soon be released after an amnesty bill has been approved. 

Following the recent deadly protest in Iran, it's emerged that dozens of protesters were promising athletes. In Austria, a " gross negligent manslaughter " verdict for a man who left his girlfriend on Austria's highest mountain; 

The US President welcomes global leaders to Washington for the launch of his "Board of Peace". And scientists make a revolutionary nasal spray universal vaccine for cold, flu, COVID and allergies that works on mice.

The Global News Podcast brings you the breaking news you need to hear, as it happens. Listen for the latest headlines and current affairs from around the world. Politics, economics, climate, business, technology, health – we cover it all with expert analysis and insight.

Get the news that matters, delivered twice a day on weekdays and daily at weekends, plus special bonus episodes reacting to urgent breaking stories. Follow or subscribe now and never miss a moment.

The government is considering introducing legislation to remove Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor from the line of royal succession.

Defence Minister Luke Pollard told the BBC the move - which would prevent Andrew from ever becoming King - was the "right thing to do," regardless of the outcome of the police investigation.

Currently Andrew, the King's brother, remains eighth in line to the throne despite being stripped of his titles, including "prince", last October amid pressure over his ties to paedophile financier Jeffrey Epstein.

On Thursday evening, Andrew was released under investigation 11 hours after his arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office. He has consistently and strenuously denied any wrongdoing.

Speaking on BBC Radio 4's Any Questions programme, Pollard confirmed the government had "absolutely" been working with Buckingham Palace on the plans to stop the former prince from "potentially being a heartbeat away from the throne".

He said this was "something that I hope will enjoy cross party support, but its right that that is something that only happens when the police investigation concludes".

On Friday unmarked police cars and vans were seen coming and going at Royal Lodge, the 30-room Windsor property where Andrew lived for many years.

At one point more than 20 vehicles could be seen parked at the property, although it is not known it all was connected to the investigation and searches.

Thames Valley Police, the force which arrested him, is expected to continue searching Royal Lodge until Monday, the BBC understands.

The government's proposal comes after some MPs, including the Liberal Democrats and SNP, signalled their support for such legislation.

Some Labour parliamentarians who have been critical of the monarchy told the BBC they were less convinced the move was required - in part because it is so unlikely the former Duke of York would ever get near to the throne.

In October, Downing Street said it had no plans to introduce a law to change the line of succession.

After the latest revelations, historian David Olusoga told BBC Newsnight there is now "a desperate desire within government and within the palace to draw a firewall… between this crisis and the wider monarchy".

Buckingham Palace has not publicly commented on the government's plans to remove Andrew from the line of succession.


Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post