12 terrorists killed, 11 security personnel martyred in Bajaur attack: ISPR

Twelve terrorists were killed, while 11 security personnel were martyred after security forces foiled a terrorist attack on a check post in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa's (K-P) Bajaur district, the military’s media wing said .

Two bomb attacks and a gun battle between police and rebel fighters have killed more than a dozen people in northwest Pakistan.

One child and 11 security personnel ⁠were ⁠killed in an attack ‌in Bajaur district of volatile Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province on Monday, the Pakistani military said on Tuesday. Seven ⁠others, ⁠including women and children, ⁠were injured ⁠in ⁠the incident.

According to the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), the attackers, described as belonging to the Indian proxy Fitna al-Khawarij, attempted to breach the check post’s security. Troops responded swiftly, engaging the assailants and eliminating 12 of them as they attempted to flee.

The ISPR stated that during the assault, the attackers rammed an explosive-laden vehicle into the perimeter wall of the check post. The powerful blast caused parts of the infrastructure to collapse, resulting in the martyrdom of 11 security personnel.

"The explosion also damaged nearby residential buildings, killing one young girl and injuring seven others, including women and children," the statement said.

Fitna al-Khawarij is a term used by the state to refer to terrorists affiliated with the banned Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan.

The ISPR further stated that sanitisation operations are underway in the area to eliminate any remaining militants. Officials said the counter-terrorism campaign under the vision “Azm-e-Istehkam”, approved by the Federal Apex Committee on the National Action Plan, would continue at full pace to eliminate foreign-sponsored terrorism.

It added that the sacrifices of the personnel and civilians underscore the resolve to safeguard the country.

President Asif Ali Zardari strongly condemned the cowardly terrorist attack by Indian-backed Fitna al-Khawarij terrorists in Bajaur.

The president offered prayers for the elevation of the martyrs’ ranks and for patience for their families, describing the sacrifice of those who gave their lives for the country’s defence as a reinforcement of Pakistan’s resolve.

Zardari emphasised that the complete eradication of externally-backed terrorism from the country remains a top priority.

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif also condemned the terrorist attack, and expressed deep sorrow over the martyrdom of 11 security personnel and one innocent civilian in the attack.

He offered prayers for the elevation of the martyrs’ ranks and conveyed condolences to their families. He also prayed for the swift recovery of those injured in the blast.

In a timely response by security forces, the prime minister noted that 12 terrorists were neutralised. He praised the armed forces for achieving major successes against terrorism under the “Azm-e-Istehkam” vision.

PM Shehbaz affirmed that the entire nation stands with Pakistan’s forces in the fight against terrorism and reiterated the government’s determination to eliminate all forms of terrorism from the country.

Meanwhile, K-P Chief Minister Sohail Afridi took notice of the attack in Bajaur district and strongly condemned the incident.

In a statement, the CM described the martyrdom of security personnel and a young girl in the attack as tragic. He said rescue agencies had been directed to carry out immediate and comprehensive relief operations after the explosion.

Afridi said efforts were being intensified to retrieve individuals trapped under the rubble, adding that the provincial government stood in solidarity with the families of the martyrs.

He said such cowardly acts of terrorism could not weaken the nation’s resolve and stressed that a comprehensive and effective strategy was essential for the complete elimination of terrorism.

“Terrorism is a collective challenge for the entire country,” he said, adding that operations against elements hostile to peace in the province would be further accelerated.

Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi praised the security forces for successfully foiling a terrorist attack by Fitna al-Khawarij on a check post in Bajaur district.

He expressed deep condolences for the 11 security personnel who were martyred during the operation and conveyed heartfelt sympathies to their families. He added that the brave troops eliminated 12 terrorists in the process and commended their courage for thwarting the terrorists’ nefarious designs.

“The heroic sacrifices of our martyrs will never be forgotten,” the minister said, adding that the nation would always honour the memory of those who laid down their lives defending the country.

K-P Governor Faisal Karim Kundi also praised the professionalism and bravery of the security forces after they foiled a terrorist attack. He paid tribute to the fallen soldiers and expressed heartfelt condolences to their families. He also wished a speedy recovery to the injured.

Kundi said such cowardly acts of terrorism would not weaken the resolve or courage of the nation. He reaffirmed that the sacrifices of the martyrs would not be in vain and hailed the steadfast determination of the armed forces and police in combating terrorism.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post