• Latest News

    Thursday, 17 May 2018

    2017 Quetta church attack victims still to get compensation, SC told

    The 2017 Quetta church attack victims are still to receive Rs7.2 million despite a lapse of five months, the Supreme Court was told on Thursday.
    During the hearing, a representative of the Christian community told the two-judge bench, comprising Justice Umar Ata Bandial and Justice Ijazul Ahsan, that the amount of compensation provided to affectees is Rs7.2m short of what was promised to them.
    On inquiry by the bench as to what took so long, the deputy commissioner of Quetta told the court that there was a delay in the provision of the medico-legal reports.
    Hearing this, the bench ordered that surgeon Dr Ali Mardan provide the court with a sworn statement explaining the matter.
    “Does it take this long for the MLR to be provided?” the judges asked while adjourning the case until June.
    At least nine people were killed and over 50 injured when terrorists stormed the Bethel Memorial Methodist Church on December 17, 2017.
    Officials said security forces intercepted and shot one bomber outside but the second attacker managed to reach the church’s main door where he blew himself up.
    Following the attack, both the federal and provincial governments had announced monetary compensation for the victims.
    The sum, however, has yet to be disbursed despite several months having lapsed, over which the apex court had last week taken a suo motu notice.

    • Blogger Comments
    • Facebook Comments

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    Item Reviewed: 2017 Quetta church attack victims still to get compensation, SC told Rating: 5 Reviewed By: Asqamar